Avaire Forum

Avaire Forum (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trims and Transitions (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   carpet transition (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13)

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:39 AM

carpet transition

Author: A Clark
Date: 3/16/2007 7:18 am EDT
I'm considering using Avaire in a bathroom over existing vinyl flooring with the QuietWarmth/QuietWalk underlayment. What's the best way to transition between the Avaire in the bathroom and the carpet in the hallway?

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:44 AM

RE: carpet transition

Author: Jonathan
Date: 3/16/2007 10:58 pm EDT
Thank you for your comments.

We have looked around extensively on the web for comments on Avaire. Most - if not all of the comments - are from people who have confused Avaire with Edge. Edge definitely had some issues during their launch in 2004 - I believe they would readily acknowledge this fact. However, we understand they have done much to improve their product since their launch. We certainly wish them the best of luck. There remain significant differences between Edge and Avaire, and, as you might expect, we believe Avaire is superior.

There was an early prototype version of Avaire available in 2004 that saw very limited distribution. But that version was discountinued in early 2005, completely re-engineered, and brought back to market in the middle of 2006 after extensive field testing in early 2006. While the original prototype Avaire was a decent product, significant improvements were made between 2004 and 2006.

We have sold tens of thousands of square feet of Avaire since July, 2006, and we do not have a single complaint of broken tile (or frankly any other customer complaints). Our customers love Avaire. Not to say we will never have a complaint - that would be unrealistic.

Regarding your question on the warranty - as you know, there is NO warranty on traditional tile. If it cracks, you must replace it. The fact is, if you drop something heavy on either traditional tile or Avaire, there is a reasonable probabiity it will break (it will be much easier to replace the Avaire tile using the replacement process - the entire tray/tile assmembly is replaced, not just the tile portion). The 10 year warranty is to assure our customers that the tray and the adhesive between the tray and the tile are designed to last. Also, the tile we use is a minimum of 9.0 mm thick. As you may know, a tile's structural strength increases more than linearly with thickness. It is significantly stronger than the nominal 7.5 mm thick tile found at most retailers.

Shoot me an email and I will send you a video clip of the Robinson Test showing a Avaire floor being abused by 900 pounds of rolling weight. While it is a lab test, it should give you better confidence in the system. It really does work!!

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:45 AM

Author: Krista
Date: 3/20/2007 0:08 am EDT
Dear A. Clark,

My name is Krista and I am part of the Avaire team.

Although Avaire does not currently have transitions in their product line, it is an area that they are working on expanding.

I have Avaire in my dining room and kitchen. We have not yet purchased transitions for one area (from the kitchen to the hallway); however, from our dining room to our living room, my husband "rolled" our carpet under and stapled it down. It looks very nice. I'll send you a digital picture, if you'd like.

Including the 10mm tile and the 4.5 mm "tray", Avaire tile is 14.5 mm thick (just over 1/2 inch), so if you go to your local home center and tell them what color your carpet is and what color your Avaire tile is, they can help you find a transition that will be of most benefit to you.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for posting!
Krista

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:46 AM

Author: Francine
Date: 3/25/2007 9:07 pm EDT
I would like to get some information on avaire. plus send me your video thanks

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:47 AM

Author: Joe Grinker
Date: 8/20/2008 10:33 pm EDT
I have read many of the questions and responses to Avaire tile intallation and am about to install it in our bathroom. I am unclear whether the tile is to be installed under the existing carpet metal door edge piece which is nailed down or just brougt up to it and either caulked along the edge or a new transition piece istalled between the new tile and the existing metal strip on the carpet.

Avaire Archive 06-15-2009 10:47 AM

Author: Chris
Date: 8/21/2008 8:55 am EDT
The meatal transition piece thats between your carpet and a vinyl floor should be removed.

After the Avaire is installed, place a piece of tackstrip and tuck the carpet the same as you would traditional tile.