Avaire Forum

Avaire Forum (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Floor Preparation (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tile flex (http://www.avairefloors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179)

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:14 PM

Tile flex

Author: Chris
Date: 9/16/2008 12:05 am EDT
I am in the process of installing an avaire floor in my kitchen and abutting bathroom. Just wondering how much flex the actual tile can handle. I have read about the levelness of the floor. 1/4 inch over 10' or 1/8th over 6ft. This I guess depends were you measure from. I do have a bit of a dip in my floor and it it is only about a 1/4 of an inch. Luckily the tiles do not set directly over the dip. The grout line sits right on the center. None of the tiles rocked back and fourth when laying them out. Anyhow with all of the tile snapped together you can now rock them slightly. The tiles can be rocked just a little. Maybe 1 to to 2 16ths where the hump is. Will this be a problem? Based on your video and how the flat the surface should be I would not think so.

The install seems to be going very well so far. It is a big install. Only problems I have is around doors and vents where you have to notch the tile out. Depending on where the tile is placed some of the notches are quite narrow. Making it difficult to snap them together without cracking. Luckily there were only a couple spots that will not be noticable. Inside a closet around the door jamb and around a vent. Any tips when attaching these types of tiles would be great. Used soap and took of some of the tabs. Maybe I should have taken more off. Let me know if you will sell touch up glaze that will go over bone colored filler for the beige color tile.

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:16 PM

Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 9/16/2008 10:29 pm EDT
Chris,

Without seeing your floor first-hand, it is difficult to say with certainty whether or not there is too much movement. However, based on your description, I think you'll be OK. The flexible grout is designed to handle some degree of movement, but too much could cause cracking over time. In our Robinson testing, we see well over 1/16th movement, but the grout handles the movement well.

If you have the option to "unzip" the floor and fill any low areas with a self-leveling compound before you grout, that would be ideal. However, even on a perfectly level floor, there is some compression of the "grid" that will result in some movement (perhaps that is what you are seeing - is the movement only when you place full weight on the area, or does it move even with light pressure?)

There can are some room configurations where you simply cannot avoid narrow "fingers" around the edges. In some cases, we've seen people literally cut the tile at that point and adhere the small piece to the floor, using grout to fill the gap between.

Sorry, but we don't sell any matching touch-up kits (we'll add that to the product development list though - thanks for the suggestion!).

Thank you for purchasing Avaire tile! Send us a picture when you are done.

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:16 PM

Date: 9/16/2008 11:25 pm EDT
Yes the tile only flex's when you put full weight on one side of the tile. And like I say it is maybe 2/16th's of movement. Full weight being 200 lbs of pressure wearing shoes. When you do it without shoes on you can hardly tell. What is light pressure pressing on the tile with a couple of fingers? If that is the case no it does not move. If it is only the grout that may not hold up as long I can live with that. Grouting can be fixed. I am about 200 square feet into the project and still not finished. I am hesitant to rip all the tile apart for that little bit of movement. Maybe it is just the fact that I have been on traditional tile floors and not used to the bit of flexing that you will fell on this stuff. I assume the flexing will be less once the grouting is in.

How much movement do you see in that Robinson test? and how long is it run for before you see any damage?

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:18 PM

Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 9/18/2008 9:49 pm EDT
Compared to a traditional tile floor where there is virtually no movement, some movement will be detected with Avaire tile.

If you go to YouTube.com and search for Robinson Test you will see several videos of the test that will give you an idea of the amount of movement the system is designed to handle. The Robinson test runs 5,600 revolutions with up to 900 pounds of weight. We have run dozens of these tests and have never seen the grout fail......

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:19 PM

Date: 9/19/2008 12:28 am EDT
That's cool I have seen some of the video and it is pretty impressive. Based on the placement of the tile and the minor movement the tile should not crack. As I said before the grout line is almost exactly on the ridge which enables the tiles to sit flat. I am excited to see how the grouting turns out. I will hopefully get that done tonight. If I have to glue little pieces in for places like the plumbing around the toilet what kind of adhesive should I use?

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:19 PM

Date: 9/19/2008 12:35 am EDT
Wow! in that video it looks like the tile is actually coming off the floor. In that test is the floor completely level or are you testing the flatness of the floor 1/8th in 6' or 1/4 in 10'?

I will send pics when I am done. So far it looks great. The whole project is about 300 sq ft. That is the reason for all my questions.

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:20 PM

toilet flang

Author: rich larsen
Date: 9/20/2008 11:36 am EDT
i started on a small bathroom and end up piceing to small pieces on two sides of toilet flange i had three side snap in on the two long ones and just one edge on two short ones which i put pl 200 under jsut so they didnt move. it a small bathroom and i kinda laid thinks out ahead of time but the row tht the toilet flange is on is the same row as the heat vent opposite end. anyway all ok getting ready to grout just wondered if you have thought about making a tile with a whole in it for a toilet flange. i guess the best thing i can say is all went well just had to figure out how to ket the most conections on the short pieces. i only have a small scrap pile and estimated 5 boxes which i came up to tiel short. I bought 13 boxes because i am going to do my other bathroom over also. i am here in omaha so fell free to let me know whats happening.

Avaire Archive 06-23-2009 11:21 PM

Author: Jonathan
Date: 9/23/2008 5:52 pm EDT
Interesting concept to have a pre-cut tile for the toilet flange. Unfortunately, not everyone would want the tile layout such that the flange would be in the middle of the tile.

There might be some other related possibilities, so thanks for sharing the concept.