Thread: Grout
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Archive

Default Grout

Author: NIH
Date: 3/2/2008 6:09 pm EDT
I finished placing the Avaire tiles in my basement bathroom yesterday. I put them over an existing vinyl-on-concrete floor. The installation was a lot easier than I thought!

This morning I grouted using the flexible grout. I followed all of the instructions and the grouting was pretty easy too!

I did find one problem. After about 30 minutes of drying I noticed small "holes" or "pockets" starting to form in the grout. They are about about 1/8" deep. I would describe them as "sinkholes" or "pock marks", like the grout started contracting or sinking in spots as it dried. They didn't form everywhere, but there are about 30 holes scattered throughout the 35 sq. ft. room. There are enough of them, and they are noticeable enough, that they definitely need to be fixed.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Any ideas on why these holes appeared, or what I might have done to cause the holes to appear?

2. Can I "re-grout" over the affected areas to fill-in the holes? If so, how long should I wait before re-grouting? I wouldn't need to re-grout the whole floor, I would just fill in the holes.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Other than the holes the floor looks great!