Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 8/2/2008 5:52 pm EDT
Hmmm, that's a new one. Without being there, it hard to determine the root cause of the "creak". Generally speaking, a creak noise will come from the sub-floor - either the decking or joists.
A few questions:
1) Did you remove a prior layer of flooring, or are you going over the top of an existing floor? We've heard of situations where glued-down carpet was removed and the adhesive residue would stick/tear making a noise.
2) What is directly under the Avaire tile?
3) Is the "creak" isolated to one spot, or do you hear it in multiple locations. If somewhat isolated, is it possible the edge of a tile is rubbing on the perimeter somewhere?
4) Are all the interlocking tabs fully engaged throughout the floor? (This should not cause a creaking sound, but still a good idea to verify before you grout).
5) Where does it sound to you like the creak is originating? What other words would you potentially use to describe the sound: e.g., squeak, pop, scrap, tear, swish, rub? I know that may seem like an odd question, but it might help us understand the scenario better.
If you have a digital camera that can shoot video, you could record a short clip and we'd be happy to look/listen. You can send it to email@example.com
We're definitely open to other ideas or suggestions.