View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Archive

Vickie,

I'm not sure how we've gotten to this point. If I am not mistaken, you are located right here in Omaha. Please contact us and we'll send someone out to investigate. Our goal is to delight each and every customer, and you are clearly not a delighted customer. The office number is 402-505-7627.

A couple of points to consider:

1) Products like Magic Eraser are abrasive in nature. From Wikipedia: "Melamine foam is a made of a foam-like material consisting of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam was an effective abrasive cleaner. The open cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is extremely hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned." The ones we've found all instruct the consumer to "try in an inconspicuous area" to confirm the surface is not damaged.

2) There are hundreds of cleaning products available on the market, and we cannot possibly evaluate each to make compatibility recommendations. We have verified that Krud-Kutter works well to remove grout haze, and other citrus based cleaners are fine to use with Avaire tile. There are clearly some cleaning products that should not be used with Avaire tile and any other tile including products such as steel wool or any other product that uses abrasion to perform the cleaning action. If in doubt, please test the cleaner in a well lit, inconspicuous area.

3) I suspect the issue could be the grout haze (which is very glossy in nature) is being removed by the Magic Eraser leaving the natural glaze finish which, depending upon specific tile can be anywhere from a matte finish to glossy.

Once again, we welcome the opportunity to resolve this issue, but we will need to inspect the floor to determine the nature and root cause of the problem. Vickie - please call us at 402-505-7627 to schedule an inspection.