Avaire Forum  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Archive

Default Installation over cement board

Author: Jim
Date: 3/11/2007 11:44 am EDT
I have an existing tile floor. The subfloor moves enough that the grout cracks, but the tiles do not break. (Tiles vary in size up to 18".) Can these tiles be removed, the adhesive somehow removed, and Avaire be installed on the cement board? Our other option is to rip out the floor to the joists and rebuild a more solid floor which will be very expensive.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Archive

Default Re: Installation over cement board

Author: Jonathan
Date: 3/11/2007 5:49 pm EDT
Jim,

Removing the existing tile is usually a big job, especially since you'll need to get the floor relatively level for Avaire (or any other floor covering). I don't think there are any easy/simply answers - just "elbow grease".

Based on your description, I assume the grout on your floor is a traditional cement-based product, and not an epoxy grout or other more advanced grout product. If you are satisfied with your tile, you might first try a different grout product designed to handle slight movement. Cement-based grout is very unforgiving for even slight movements.

Avaire Flexible Grout might do the trick, but keep in mind that with Avaire, the amount of movement between each tile is limited by the tray system - if the movement between each of your tiles is significant, then even Avaire Flexible Grout may not be sufficiently flexible.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Archive

Default RE: Installation over seramic tile

Author: thomas owens
Date: 12/13/2007 12:14 am EDT

Jim wrote:
-------------------------------
I have an existing tile floor. The subfloor moves enough that the grout cracks, but the tiles do not break. (Tiles vary in size up to 18".) Can these tiles be removed, the adhesive somehow removed, and Snapstone be installed on the cement board? Our other option is to rip out the floor to the joists and rebuild a more solid floor which will be very expensive.