Avaire Forum  
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Archive

Default Can this system be used outdoors?

Author: Jack
Date: 6/1/2008 11:20 pm EDT
I want to cover a cedar deck that always looks ratty.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 6/1/2008 11:36 pm EDT
THERE YA GO!!!!

I've been waiting for that question to come up!

I don't know what Avaire says about that idea but if the adhesive used on the trays is freeze/thaw stable then I think it would be an excellent product for that purpose. The Avaire grout could be an issue if the deck doesn't meet minimum deflextion standards.

You would have to deal with the edges but that's a doable issue.

In fact I have a deck of an old customer in mind for this type installation, maybe I should test the theory.

Let's see what Team Avaire says about this.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Archive

Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 6/3/2008 3:15 pm EDT
Officially and currently, the answer is Avaire tile is warranted for indoor residential use only where temperatures are between 32F to 115F. However, all system components (tile, adhesive, and tray) have been designed to be compatible with freezing temperatures and harsh environments.

There is no damage to individual tiles when frozen to temperatures well below 32F. So, for example, when a pallet of Avaire tile is stranded in a North Dakota blizzard for several days at sub zero temps, the Avaire tile will not be damaged. Or a truckload is sitting in the Arizona desert in the summer at 150+F, the tile will not be damaged.

However, we do not yet have extensive freeze-thaw cycle data on system level performance with tiles interlocked and grouted. We have a handful of outdoor test installations underway in various climates. We are also embarking upon a series of rigorous "system level" freeze/thaw tests and should have initial results in 3-4 months.

While we would love to sell Avaire tile for outdoor applications, we will not recommend it until and unless we have clear data indicating our customers won't have problems. We'd much rather limit the usage, than have dissatisfied customers.

Mr Journeyman - if you would like to join an outdoor test, please contact the Avaire team at 402-505-7627.