Avaire Forum  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Archive

Default Outdoors

Author: jamey
Date: 7/10/2008 8:47 am EDT
Could this be used in an covered outdoor application over an existing vinly cover that has never allowed any water to penetrate through to the wood in 15 years? It is more for the look we want to cover the vinly.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Archive

Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 7/12/2008 6:59 pm EDT
Jamey,

Technically, Avaire tile is not warranted for outdoor use. However, each of the components is designed to withstand a broad range of temperatures and humidity.

We've just finished a series of freeze-thaw tests that did not reveal any problems cycling from 80F to -10F multiple times over a three week period. While that is not the same as a multi-year test, it does give us confidence that the system will perform under extreme temperatures.

I think you'll be OK using Avaire tile in an enclosed porch. If you try it, please keep us informed regarding its performance.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Archive

Author: woody
Date: 7/30/2008 6:54 pm EDT
I would like to use Avaire tile on my outdoor deck which is above our patio. I was planning on using a EPDM rubber membrane attatched to the plywood deck then installing the tile over that. The deck has a slope of approx. 1/4" per foot with 3/4" plywood on 11 7/8" silent floor joists 19.2" o/c. I live in Alberta Canada where the temperature can go from -30F to +95F. Your test results give me confidence in the freeze thaw aspect and I believe the EPDM will prevent any rotting of the deck, I was wondering what might happen with the grouting and or possible moisture build up under the tile from snow melting and then freezing again several times during the fall and spring seasons. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Archive

Author: The Avaire Team
Date: 8/2/2008 6:03 pm EDT
We have not yet officially pronounced Avaire tile suitable for outdoor applications, but we're confident it will perform well.

Our first step will likely be approving Avaire tile for use in three season porches where there is some degree of protection from the elements. We have several three-season porches across the country that have been installed as test cases for the past 18 months. So far, so good....

There will be limitations on "outdoor use": for example, we would not approve installing Avaire tile directly on the ground over dirt/sand where it could be immersed in water/ice for 6 months every year.

If there are any customers out there who would be willing to participate in a test, we'd be willing to provide some reimbursement of your costs in exchange for installing without warranty coverage and giving us access to the floor for evaluation. Please send an email to jonathan.mcintosh@avairefloors.com if you are interested.