Avaire Forum  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Archive

Default lining up tiles

Author: Shawn
Date: 12/3/2008 12:23 am EDT
I have recently completed an install of about 550 sq ft of this wonderful product. I have not completed the grout as I am curious about how my tiles line up. I have made sure that all tabs are locked together during my install. I noticed however that my tiles don't line up in certain areas, meaning my line is not true across my entire installation. It is not really noticeable unless you look for it or you are down on the floor, my question is are these tiles supposto line up perfectly or am I just overly picky as I crawl around on my floor inspecting? Looking at traditional tile installs I have noticed that the tile lines are often out a tiny bit. If I use a wooden block and a rubber mallet to try and get things lined up, I end up with an area that was lined up perfectly out a little bit. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 12/3/2008 1:06 pm EDT
Shawn I don't know what the Avaire "Company Line" will be on this query but I can tell you that even though the tiles may be rectified they can still have a slight variance in their size. This condition is typical with all tile.

In addition the manufacturing of the trays will have a slight variance. Then along comes the joining of the tiles to the trays and yet another slight variance can occur. Even though tolerances in manufacturing vary, no matter how precise one tries to make a product of this nature some variances will occur. Combine an opportunity at multiple variances and you have a slightly imperfect finished product. Those imperfections are considered by many to be "The Beauty of the Tiles". Once the grout is installed the variances will blend and be even less conspicuous.

Just a two cent reply to a common question.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 12/3/2008 1:42 pm EDT
Shawn, Journeyman is correct, The beauty of ceramic tile is sometimes in the imperfections. But if you have an area that may have some misalignment and you want to tap them back into place without disrupting the alignment of the tile that are straight try inserting a standard 1/4" tile spacer in the tiles that you don't want to move before you tap the other tiles in place. The spacers will ensure the alignment stays in place while moving the others.

Good luck. let me know if this helps.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Archive

Author: Shawn
Date: 12/3/2008 2:37 pm EDT
Thanks guys!

I may try the spacer and see what happens. I will have some pictures in the next little while, once my baseboards are back on etc if anyone is interested. Like I said earlier, what a terrific product.