Avaire Forum  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Archive

Default Avaire Tile Next to Wood Laminate

Author: Artsy
Date: 7/1/2008 8:31 am EDT
I am in the process of installing wood laminate floors and thought that it would look nice and be practical to have a 24" strip of Avaire tile running down the center of my entry hall like a runner.

My handyman cringed when I mentioned the idea. Is it possible?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 7/1/2008 3:17 pm EDT
Tell your handyman I cringed also.
I suppose anything can be done, but lets talk about some of the roadblocks.
Both floors are floating so an expansion joint will need to be placed between the two surfaces. Since the floors are two different thickness( Avaire tile 9/16", laminate typically 5/16") a t-mold wont work and reversing a hard surface reducer wouldn't work either. depending on the brand of laminate your installing maybe an end mold or carpet reducer could be modified to work but it might look clumsy.
Another issue is having two floors of different heights in main walkways might create a tripping hazzard.
If you decide to do this let me know what brand of laminate your using and maybe I could suggest some transitions. Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Archive

Author: David Bolstad
Date: 7/3/2008 4:05 pm EDT
I made my own transition strips to transition from avaire tile to an Alloc laminate floor. I pulled up the Alloc transition strip and designed my transition to use Alloc's glued down metal anchor strip. I used a table saw and a hand held power planer to make the transition. I taper the transition towards the laminate floor so I only had a 1/4" lip above each floor.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 7/6/2008 9:02 am EDT
The previous message said you were a "handyman", sounds more like a craftsman to me.
If everyone was clever like you there would be alot less transition problems. great job. Be sure to send photos.