Avaire Forum  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Archive

Default I must be doing something wrong!

Author: Krista
Date: 10/21/2008 2:21 pm EDT
I am trying to install the Avaire tile but I am having a really hard time getting it to "snap" I have yet to get one to snap together as easy as it shows in the video. And I am now on my second row and when I "tap" the second row in place it moves the first! Any suggestions and what am I not doing right?? I have also tried dishsoap but that isnt helping either.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Archive

Date: 10/21/2008 3:03 pm EDT
And I just hit another problem. My cupboards arent square. So where it was 1/4in away on one side of my stove, it is about 1/2 in away on the other side.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 10/21/2008 7:11 pm EDT
You've discovered the ugly truth about most construction: walls and cupboards are definitely not square. Not sure I can make specific recommendations other than take lots of measurements and determine the best way to compensate for the out-of-square room.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Archive

Author: Journeyman
Date: 10/21/2008 10:26 pm EDT
Krista,

Is it possible you could "tweak" the position of the entire floor so as to close the gap you speak of? This way, the variance may go unnoticed on the other side of the room.

This type of thing is normal in flooring installation, it happens on most all projects.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 10/21/2008 7:14 pm EDT
Hmmm. It can take a few tiles to get the "hang of it" when snapping together. It sounds like you've already tried the dishsoap trick. The other tip would be to try to "dance" the tiles together by starting on one side, and then "swinging" the other side into place. You'll definitely want to use a tapping block and mallet.

What is the room temperature? As the temperature decreases, the tray edges tend to "stiffen" - however, as long as it is normal room temp, you should be OK.

Regarding the tiles moving, that is normal for the first row or two. I typically stand on the "in-place" tile while tapping the new tile in place. That usually will keep the original tile stationary. Generally, you may need to readjust the floor a bit as you go with the tapping block and mallet.

I'm sorry it isn't snapping together as easily as it looks on the video.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Archive

Author: Chris
Date: 10/21/2008 10:11 pm EDT
Krista, Jonathan is correct. At times construction isn't as square as we would think it would be and some times things don't go together as well as it shows in videos.

I've installed quite a bit of Avaire tile and have a few jobs that were a little more work to assemble than others but here's a few tips that might help you.

When assembling tiles that are taking a little more effort first I ensure the floor is flat within tolerance, if not the tabs may not align properly, then I use a rubber mallet and a tapping block so I can safely give it a little more of a tap,also what works to avoid the rows from shifting around is to make sure you have it braced against a wall or if you're assembling a section in the middle of the romm , drop in a few 1/4" tile spacers in the joints and this will help lock the rows together untill you have a larger area assembled and then it won't be a problem.

Once you get going you will be fine but if you think you're "still doing something wrong" let me know because chances are I've done the same think wrong already.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Archive

Date: 10/21/2008 11:31 pm EDT
Thanks for the info. It is getting a little easier and some have actually snapped in. I did figure out I need to keep checking to make sure they stay aligned and once I got that it has been alot easier.

I ended up backing the tile up and starting in the center of the room,rather than along the cabinet, to help fix the "not square" issue. The difference from one cabinet to the next on either side of the gap for my stove is 3/4 of an inch! So by cutting each tile I can address the difference in size and it shouldnt be overly noticeable since the cabinets have a slight overhang and I will also be using a rubber kickboard. I guess my biggest obstacle is getting over the "illusion" of it not being straight, when I know it really is and that the cabinets make it appear that way. No one other than me will probably notice anyway!

Thanks again! It really is looking good! I'm excited to get it done! The room in 12 x 14 so its a project!