Avaire Forum  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Archive

Default Tub apron with Avaire tile

Author: kevin
Date: 4/8/2008 9:32 pm EDT
I bought a drop in tub to install a tile apron rather than having the fiberglass apron. Can I use avaire for this? My concern is specifically with the 90 degree corner of the tile apron and the flexible grout. Will avaire tile even work on a vertical surface? Please advise.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 4/8/2008 11:28 pm EDT
I may not be following your exact application, but I will comment on a couple of points. First, Avaire tile is probably not a good choice for a vertical surface above a tub. We've done a few vertical applications as toe kicks under cabinets and it performs fine there. A color matched caulk is probably a better solution at a 90 degree corner. If you could send pictures we might be able to address your questions more precisely. Also, I suggest you call our technical advisor, Joe Fuller at 402-505-7627 - he might have some additional ideas.

Thanks for considering Avaire tile!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Archive

Default Over plywood?

Author: Brittin
Date: 4/8/2008 10:12 pm EDT
My husband and I just bought a new house, and we had to rip the flooring down to the plywood. Several people are telling us to install something over the plywood before we start laying the Avaire tile down. What do you recommend that that we do?( Wire mesh w/dry set mortar, cement board,etc)Please help I would love to be able to do this myself instead of hiring someone to do it for us.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Archive

Author: Jonathan
Date: 4/8/2008 11:33 pm EDT
The short answer is it depends upon the flatness of your plywood floor, and the thickness. The subfloor should be at least 3/4" plywood. As a rule of thumb, if the tile "rocks" the floor is not flat enough. However, it will generally be easier to apply a self-leveling compound to low areas and knock-down any high areas than install a backerboard.